Many organizations the world over strive to instill the Lean Six Sigma process because of the benefits it brings, namely improvement in the processes, which leads to an enhancement in the quality, reduction of waste, and streamlining of efficiencies. A Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) from the American Society for Quality (ASQ) enables an organization’s project managers to lead its Lean Six Sigma improvement process.
Let us look at this certification in some detail over the next few paragraphs.
A Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB)’s Core Competencies
A Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) is concerned with the improvement process, which we just saw. So, she is expected to have these core competencies and qualities:
- A solid understanding of how to fit the parameters of the Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control (DMAIC) model into the organization’s lean Six Sigma processes;
- The tools and methodologies that are used to add value to the organization at various levels;
- A proper grasp of the roles and responsibilities of those who manage projects;
- A thorough insight into the many phrases of the projects, such as the measurement, analysis, improvement, and control;
- Leadership and coordination between the teams, business insight, and the foresight needed to bring about a Six Sigma vision into the organization.
A Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) is thus expected to have a grasp of these:
- The precise Six Sigma vision that the organization has envisaged;
- The leadership needed to implement this vision, with the necessary ability to change and adapt as required;
- Effective communication and the skill to take all the stakeholders on board;
- The patience and openness to accommodate different, often conflicting viewpoints and opinions;
- The versatility, adaptability, and teamwork to interact with both the CXO levels and the blue-collar level employees.
The Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) Certification: Exam details
These are some of the details of the Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) certification exam:
Nature of the exam: Written, open book, online, proctored
Type: Objective and multiple-choice questions
Language: English only; but the offline model is offered in Mandarin in a few locations around the globe
Number of questions: 165, out of which 150 are scored, and the remaining 15 are unscored
The Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) certification has the following prerequisites:
Two completed projects with signed affidavits
One completed project with a signed affidavit and three years of work experience in one or higher areas of the Six Sigma Black Belt Body of Knowledge.
The Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) Certification Exam Fees
$538 for ASQ members; $438 for non-ASQ members; $338 for each retake.
The Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) certification is valid for three years.
Value of a Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) Certification
For those serious about a career in Six Sigma, the Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) certification is a very high-level one that places you right among the organization’s top brass.
A Certified Six Sigma Black Belt climbs the ladder to growth in a very quick time and has a prominent position in the organization.
Pay is another factor you should consider when deciding on a Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) certification. In the US, a CSSBB Certified Six Sigma professional earns almost $18,000 more than a noncertified one.
If you feel you have the aptitude for this certification, the CSSBB is certainly worth its weight in gold. You will enjoy not only the attractive financial perks that accompany great pay but also the opportunity to work up close with most hierarchies and positions. If this is your cup of tea, look no further than the Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB) certification to help you get there.