In the modern data-centric digital world, Applied Data Science has risen to prominence as one of the most lucrative and dynamic industries spanning multiple organizations and fields. There is a consistent increase in data generation and a growing dependence on Data Analytics to make smart and informed decisions. And that has created a high demand for skilled Professionals who specialize in extracting valuable insights from intricate and unstructured data sets.
This article explores the potential of Applied Data Science, the career scope in 2023, and the skills you need to acquire to build successful career opportunities in 2023. Multiple online courses are available that will be perfect for you to excel as an Applied Data Science specialist.
Scope of Applied Data Science in 2023
In most countries, including India, the U.S., and the U.K., a rapid digital transformation has accelerated the adoption of data-driven strategies across various sectors like healthcare, finance, retail, and technology. For instance, according to the reports by NITI Aayog, given the growth of the global contribution of Data Science, the demand for Data Science Experts will increase consistently in India by 2035.
According to the reports, job prospects in the USA are expected to grow 36% in the next nine years. The rapid digitalization is expected to only grow in the coming years, making this a lucrative career choice in 2023, with high employability.
Why Choose Applied Data Science as a Career in 2023?
The Applied Data Science field is dynamic; therefore, employability is highly diverse. Hence, multiple factors have contributed to making this sector impressively appealing as a career in 2023. Here is a list of the reasons you should consider this as your best career choice:
- High Demand: As organizations across every industry embrace the new-age data-driven decision-making, the demand for skilled Applied Data Scientists is also expected to grow in the coming years.
- Opportunities: Applied Data Science Professionals have diverse career opportunities, which has created multiple opportunities ranging from data analyst to Machine Learning Engineer to Data Science Consultant.
- Salary: One of the leading factors people consider before moving into a profession is financial compensation. But Data Scientists are among the highest-paid professionals in the technology sector, with competitive salaries reflecting the high demand for their specialized skills.
- Professional Growth: It is important to consider a career path that guarantees professional growth. As an Applied Data Science Professional, you will have ample opportunities for growth and progress consistently in your career.
- Dynamic Job Prospect: One of the most interesting factors that has led to Applied Data Science becoming a much sought-after career choice is its wide range of job prospects. You can join any industry, from healthcare to technology, as an Applied Data Science expert.
Top 10 Skills to Acquire in 2023 to Become an Applied Data Scientist
The demand for Applied Data Science professionals is consistently growing and will continue to grow as organizations recognize the importance of leveraging data and data-driven innovations and decision-making. Expert Applied Data Science personnel will have the expertise to solve complex data problems and help organizations streamline operations aligned with the organization’s objectives. But to do that, you must learn and master both fundamental and advanced skills to remain relevant in this fast-evolving industry. This section will list the top 10 data science skills you must master to become an Applied Data Science Expert in 2023.
- Programming Skills: As a technical field, programming lies at the crux of Data Science. To effectively manipulate data, create data models, and create updated algorithms, you must be proficient in at least one core programming language. Python is one of Applied Data Science’s most widely used programming languages, so learning Applied Data Science with Python is a big plus. Python is adaptable and has a huge library.
- Statistical Skills: After becoming fluent in programming, you must have a solid grasp of statistics to evaluate the available data and analyze it to reach relevant conclusions. With an in-depth understanding of probability, hypothesis testing, and regression analysis, you can analyze data efficiently. These statistical techniques can be used to make accurate predictions and recommendations that align with company objectives.
- Machine Learning: Another crucial element of Applied Data Science is learning, which is used to create predictive models and find patterns in the data. You must be familiar with supervised and unsupervised learning methods and algorithms like neural networks. Knowledge of machine learning frameworks like TensorFlow will add an edge to your expertise in this field.
- Data Wrangling: This procedure, or data cleaning, involves transforming unprocessed, raw data into a more useful format. Mastering data wrangling is crucial as it guarantees that the data analysis is based on accurate and reliable data.
- Data Visualization: When communicating data-driven information to non-technical people, data visualization works well. You will need to excel in this data science skill so that the data is visualized with the help of graphs and charts so that no information is lost in translation.
- Domain Expertise: Understanding the field before you delve into it is important. You can only become an expert in the field after understanding the domain. You will be able to comprehend industry trends, rules, and best practices as a result.
- Big Data Technologies: The Applied Data Science industry relies on big data. It’s critical in this situation to be well-versed in big data technologies like Spark and Hadoop. These tools enable you to process and analyze large data sets and identify patterns and give an understanding of valuable insights. With a core understanding of big data technologies, you will be an asset to any data-driven organization.
- Cloud Computing: Cloud computing is one of the key data science skills. For processing and storing data, it is important to use cloud computing platforms like Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform. Cloud computing allows you to work more efficiently and work across various platforms.
- Soft Skills: This might be a technical field, but soft skills are equally important. As such, soft skills will help you to communicate with non-technical stakeholders. These skills include effective communication, teamwork, and a problem-solving attitude.
- Consistent Learning: Applied Data Science field is dynamic and ever-evolving.with new tools, technologies, techniques, and algorithms, staying updated with emerging trends is important. And for this, you must embrace the mindset of continuous learning.
Advanced Data Science Courses to Become A Skilled Applied Data Scientist in 2023
Learning new skills and enrolling in online courses are the easiest ways to gain knowledge about Applied Data Science. Of course, there are other offline courses, but online courses are much more preferred as they are accessible, cost-effective, and flexible. It is well-suited for new aspiring professionals and expert professionals looking for a way to upskill themselves. Consider the following courses if you are looking to upskill or for a career change.
- 6-Hour Live Training on Supervised Machine Learning for Data Science For Beginners and Professionals: This course will teach you machine learning in a simplistic and detailed manner. You will receive a quick introduction to unsupervised learning from it. You will have a thorough understanding of machine learning at the end of this course. Additionally, you will pick up knowledge in Python programming.
- 2 Days Live Training on Statistics for Data Science & Machine Learning: This course is customized to instruct students in probability and statistics for use in data science and machine learning. This elaborate course will allow you to acquire skills like Python programming, statistical analysis, data science, and machine learning.
The growing demand for Applied Data Science is so intense that you will find numerous online articles, advanced Data Science courses and career guides that will make your journey easy and smooth. But after entering the field, what matters the most is investing in skill development and acquiring the top 10 skills outlined in this blog. By enrolling in the right courses and consistent learning, you, too, can build a successful career in this field.